Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)


1. What sort of employment opportunities are there with the PGCEi course?

Most of our trainees find full time teaching posts by the end of their course. Schools know that they can rely on PGCESpain to find them well qualified and experienced teachers and they regularly contact us as soon as a post becomes available. Many of our ex alumni are now Heads or hold posts in NABSS schools.
Our teachers find posts of responsibility in schools and our course is well respected and as preparing professional and reliable staff. Trainees find work in Spain, the UK and in British and International schools all over the world.
Your practical teaching placement is a good time to make a good impression and many of our trainees are offered work in the school in which they complete their practice, although there are no guarantees.


2. Are there grants or funding available?

No, There is no government sponsored funding available. However, if you are in Spain and have full time employment PGCESpain has contacts with two local banks which will consider providing you with a student loan if you open an account and pay your “nomina” direct to them. Students interested in securing this loan should send a copy of their NIE and nomina to PGCESpain with a covering letter and we will respond with a decision from the bank within two working weeks.


3. Do we have to be teaching in a British school during our PGCESpain teaching placement?

No. Any school can offer you a teaching placement. As long as you have the support of an experienced mentor and you believe it can offer you the experience you need to become a confident practitioner and understand the various duties and responsibilities of a professional teacher. Naturally, if you do not complete your practical placement in a British school it is a good idea to visit local schools to broaden your experience. PGCESpain is happy to provide you with unlimited observation time within a well respected British school in Valencia. The school is able to offer you access to classes across the whole age range and in any subject and this will not only give you an understanding of British terminology and the National Curriculum but may help you to decide which age range you wish to teach.


4. What if I am an EFL or IELTS teacher and have a job in a language academy?

You can complete your practical teaching placement within a language academy. In this case we advise that you try to arrange to visit local schools outside your teaching hours to help your understanding and knowledge of the British National Curriculum if you are aiming to work in a NABSS school.


5. Do I need a mentor?

If you are completing your practical teaching placement in a non British school ,academy or perhaps within a school which cannot provide you with a suitable mentor PGCESpain will provide you with either a local mentor from a nearby British school who can allow you access to his or her class at times suitable to you. Alternatively PGCESpain will provide you with or with  on line support, meeting up with you when you come to Valencia for the face to face element of the course. If you may need this support you can arrange for this during your first face to face weekend and PGCESpain will find a suitable teacher to support you throughout the course.


6. Do I need to give up my present job?

No. If you are working in a school as a learning assistant PGCESpain will help you to arrange for periods of time whereby you are able to take on the teachers role. Where trainees are working outside the teaching profession practical teaching placements can be organised with local schools outside of your working hours. This can be discussed during your first face to face weekend when we know your precise needs as a trainee.


7. Do you need QTS to gain employment as a teacher in a British school?

YES – QTS is required for employment in a maintained (state) school in the UK.

NO – Most British schools throughout the world recognise the fact that a PGCEi graduate satisfies every professional standard required of a qualified teacher, except that of having fulfilled an induction year in a maintained school in the UK. It is for this reason that they value PGCESpain graduates, as they are obliged to carry out a practical teaching placement. While maintained (state) Primary schools in the UK require QTS, a PGCEi Graduate may apply with confidence for their induction year in any school. Secondary maintained Academies do not require QTS nor do most private British schools. 

You can apply for QTS at any time once you have completed the course, and PGCESpain can assist.

You can apply for QTS at any time once you have completed the course and PGCESpain can assist you to undergo on the job assessment while working in any British school in Spain ( this typically costs 3000€ and is provided by a UK based trust which sends an assessor to visit the candidate. PGCESpain provides their advice for free or you can apply for employment in a school in the UK in order to undergo what is called an induction year which leads to an assessment leading to QTS.

Most schools NABSS schools in Spain generally wish to evolve and no longer insist on QTS. They respect the University of Nottingham PGCEi as a rigorous Masters Level course. The practical placement that PGCESpain provides is well respected and many Heads in NABSS schools around Spain rely on PGCEi graduates to fill their posts.

What is the difference in PGCEi and PGCE in Britian?

The PGCEi gives you the pedagogical grounding in how children learn and education in an international context. It does not give QTS which is required to teach in state schools in Britian. With the PGCEi you can be hired as a full classroom teacher in a British or International school and as you complete it with PGCESpain, where we require Teaching Practice experience, this always helps when finding employment as employers look for in-class training. Additionally, PGCEi is more focused on international contexts whereas in Britain it would be more concentrated on British education in a British setting.

If you were to do the PGCE in Britain it usually has QTS attached which means that you have to teach in at least one state school during your TP. You also must compile a portfolio and provide evidence that you have met the Teaching Standards for each TP along with your university assignments. You would be officially observed and assessed throughout.

9. Where do I apply?

To apply, you will need to go onto the University of Nottingham website and apply to the university to do the PGCEi course in Spain.  Once you have been accepted send an email to


10. What do I do once I have been accepted?

Get in touch with PGCESpain on or and let us know whether you are working in a school or where you live and during the first face to face weekend we shall suggest several schools in which you may do your practical placement.

Let us know you have been accepted on the course and we will let you know about help with accommodation during the first face to face weekend.


11. Can I send my original documents to PGCEspain to be validated?

Yes. Please send them to:

Gill Kaye, Cambridge House Community College, Calle Profesorado Español 1, 46111 Rocafort, Valencia, Spain

Confirm by email to stating the date you registered them at the post office. 

  • For the September cohort the last date by which documents can be received in Valencia is 1st July. 
  • For the January cohort there is no earlier deadline other than the university deadline, however, over the Christmas period no post is received until the 7th January

Also, please confirm that you have sent the documents stating the name of the courier.


12. What do I have to do, regarding mentors during teaching practice time?

If you are already in a school and you have a teacher with whom you would like to work, you can inform us of the details. If PGCESpain have placed you, it is more than likely that we will suggest a mentor in one of the schools who offer placements to our students.

Mentors need to help you to fill in the attributes sheet. These are sent to you after the first meeting and can be found on the web page. The attributes are to help you progress as a professional.


13. Can I apply for the PGCEi if I have not got a degree?

A small number of people have been accepted without a degree but they have generally been working in a school as a TA and are familiar with the teaching of the National Curriculum. A strong personal statement is needed to indicate your commitment to the teaching profession and an outline of your experience in British schools.